31 minutes on Bond Street

11.58 – I get off the Central Line at Bond Street. I almost suffocated on the train. Everyone's smelling like a Fish & Chips shop these days. There came a certain point in time in 2012, when I first moved to London, where the carriage was empty (only once or twice really). Until the Crossrail opens, this is going to get worse.

11.59 – Walking towards the exit I notice the exit sign is written in almost every European language. I'm surprised – judging by our proximity to Edgware Road and Selfridge's – that Arabic is not on the sign.

12.01 – I'm starving so I pass by the only editable quick place to eat nearby, Prêt, but it's packed and everything has ham in it.

12.05 – I'm walking in the direction of high end shops. This means I pass by Trésor Rare and avoid the sales lady yelling "excuse me hello" about three times. The Swiss-shop sells creams that make your skin for the affordable price of £900. I once got dragged in there by a pushy salesman, who went down to £150 (!!!) for an under-eye cream. I took the samples and told him I'd think about it. I'm nouveau pauvre (the student/creative with champagne taste on a beer budget that make impulse purchases), but not that nouveau pauvre.

12.07 – Someone with an umbrella that says 'European wealth' passes me. There are many rich tourists trekking through the rain. Many of them are tacky, nouveau riche types. I pass Fenwick. Of course rich Arabs are entering.

12.08 – Rich tourist with tacky Fendi luggage and umbrella almost takes me out by not paying attention. She didn't even notice it happened.

12.09 – I spot EAT. I got inside, pick a brie, basil and tomato sandwich and an Americano and sit down. I'm not sure why anyone with options chooses to eat here. I have little time, nor do It work nearby so I'm here. The others? Not sure.

12.12 – A woman asks to share my table. I have no problem with that. She's North American but our encounter is so brief I can't figure out where she's from. She's into her phone. She eat her meal, makes zero eye contact. English training.

12.29 – She gets up, wipes the bread crumbs off, says 'thank you' and walks into the anonymous city.