On taste


Back when Ugly Betty was first on the air, my sister and I used to watch it whenever it aired. I’ve recently gotten back into it (upon realising it’s on Netflix!), and remembered how incredibly well-written the show was, and how wonderful all the actors performed their characters. This is one of my favourite Wilhemina Slater scenes from the show (particularly at 0:46) - played brilliantly by Vanessa Williams.

What is interesting about this scene is the whole subjective/objective argument, which comes up a lot in the art and design worlds. Often, poor work goes on to collect praise, rarely facing direct criticism in the press.

Unlike most of the design discipline, I feel as though fashion is one of the only ones with a healthy culture of criticism in its publications: editors have no problem writing about boring runway shows, bad collections, and poorly made garments.